Types of Constipation
What is the Difference Between Occasional Constipation and Chronic Constipation?
Occasional constipation is defined as fewer than three bowel movements per week. This could mean you just don’t go often enough. It could also mean when you do go, your bowel movements involve straining and small drops.
Chronic Constipation if you have fewer than three bowel movements each week and your constipation symptoms persisted for several weeks or months.
If you don’t typically experience constipation, ask yourself the following questions to help determine a potential cause:
- Have you been getting enough fiber? (3-5 cups of fruits and veggies can help with this!)
- Have you been drinking enough water?
- Are you moving your body enough?
- Have you recently started taking supplements?
- Are you under more stress than usual lately?
- Have you ignored the urge to poop lately?
- Are you pregnant? (The added pressure from pregnancy can lead to issues with your regular digestion.)
- Does your age play a role? (The older you are, the more likely you might struggle with regular bowel movements.)
- Have you recently started taking new medications?
- Is it something more serious? (If none of the above stood out to you, discuss your symptoms with your doctor. They may be able to give you a better idea as to what is going on.)
You might have chronic constipation if you have fewer than three bowel movements each week and your constipation symptoms persisted for several weeks or months
Your Biological Clock:
A New Way to Understand The Underlying Cause of Chronic Constipation
Research shows that when the Biological Clock is not synchronized, it may lead to constipation, among other symptoms5.
Mechanical stimulation of the colon with gentle vibrations, resynchronizes the biological clock via the ENS-CNS pathway.
When the biological clock is resynchronized, the natural bowel movement bio-rhythm is restored.
In a phase 3 clinical trial with the Vibrating capsules, patients experienced significant improvement of constipation symptoms vs placebo4.
As seen in